Thursday, July 6, 2017

I told Caroline's story at a protest outside Trump's Hotel while he held a $35,000-$100,000/plate fundraiser inside

Thank you Public Citizen, Resist Here, Americans for Tax Fairness, and Working Families Party for the opportunity to share my daughter Caroline's story.

I am feeling deeply thankful for the opportunities I've been given to tell our Medicaid story and add my family's voice to the health debate. I still find public speaking excruciatingly challenging -- it's not something that comes naturally to me. I've also had to set aside my family's privacy. But I recognize my own privilege and the flexibility it gives me to be able to voice the concerns of so many families like mine.




The protest received a a lot of media coverage. Below is a link to a news clip with a very (very!) short clip of my interview. 
http://wjla.com/news/local/president-trump-hosts-35000-per-plate-re-election-fundraising-dinner-at-trump-hotel


You can view video of the protest below. My message to the Republican Senators supporting this bill starts at the 21:30 mark.



My message to the Republican Senators supporting Trumpcare:

You are putting my daughter's life at risk. You are taking away the lifeline of so many children with disabilities and/or chronic illnesses by cutting $800 billion from Medicaid to finance tax cuts for corporations and billionaires. Do you even understand what's in the bill? This is a matter of life and death for millions of Americans across the country.

Do the right thing. Do NOT pass Trumpcare. America will be watching you.